Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Tale Of An Unfounded Best Seller



I have started to write this piece a long time ago, but I didn’t know why I just lost interest finishing it. Or maybe because I didn’t know how to cap it, not until I received a call from a friend just today for some hi’s and hello’s and other stuffs (which I will disclose at the last part). And so this is his story.

I have a friend, an overseas Filipino worker like me, and I think he is in trouble. As a matter of fact, he seems to be having an inevitable breakdown.

Well, I became a certified overseas worker since October of 2008. We met at the Hong Kong airport at the immigration line. It appeared that we boarded the same plane as his boarding ticket’s flight details were same as mine. He was China bound too. But to which particular place, I didn’t bother to ask anymore. We rode the same bus to Sheng Shui for the KCR to Lo Wu. From there on of the same day, we parted.

After about eight months on separate ways, I met him again on one of my exits to Hong Kong. He said he was going to Central to remit his salary for his family. So was I for the same reason. And being “old friends”, it was a great moment to have met once again. That time, we found ourselves so comfortable already, as if we have known each other since we were kids, and we took things from there. For the first time, we exchanged numbers. So after each of our transactions was done, we called each other, and had lunch together.

Having too much stories to share regarding our respective jobs, after lunch, we found ourselves sitting together in a bar where most Filipinos would frequent. We ordered beer. At any rate, it is the most common denominator for men to interact. We are both engineers, almost same scope of job. Laughters on our new-fangled experiences, exchanging thoughts on our endeavors.

He said he had a good job back home, but because he felt he isn’t doing well with respect to offering more for his family, he took the challenge for a greater opportunity, thus. He said his deity was his late father, and he is just trying to emulate how his old pushed himself to provide a better future for them siblings then. He confided that his dad also went offshore for a greener pasture, and that’s how them three kiddos finished college.

I wasn’t paying so much attention to each detail he would say, because in reality, we have pretty much the same humble beginnings. All I can sense though is his imminent passion and desire to uplift his family. I see him to be responsible and well meaning. Just one who could be regarded a hero.

After all those “introductions”, suddenly, he became a little serious. Maybe it was the beer, but I can read between the lines, there must be some pent-up emotions he had always wanted to let go. At first he had a hard time opening up, but as he started, I can see the indiscernible grain of tears trying to come out of his eyes. The sadness was too much not to notice. I held myself back.

So he went to share his predicament. His family would not provide him the attention he thinks he deserves. He feels that they must have been overwhelmed by the ‘blessings’ he is providing that they seem can not make time for him anymore – when all he does is nothing else but think about them. Not much of phone calls, or text messages, or e-mails. That they would only call him when there is a domestic concern. He thinks it was a mistake that he decided to work abroad, and that he must have unsuspectingly isolated himself. There is so much guilt within, and he blames himself so bad. That had he not chosen to dream big, he should not be in such quandary.

But he justified his decision by admitting that he would not be worthy as a father if he limits his capability in shaping his family’s stature, much to his children’s future. He would always say that it was the right thing to do.

As he go on, he would shake his head to say that he can only hear their voices when it is him who would call, that he would beg for them to call him sometimes, send him text messages, or e-mail him, share some news about anything, just so that he would feel he is being thought about, and to guarantee his feelings that he is being missed too, the same way he misses his family. And yes, they would do as he tells them – but just for a quite sometime, and then it is the same dilemma all over again.

I wanted to stop him right there because I can feel he is going down. I can hear the masked sobs in between, and so I would lift my glass and bang to his, and we would gulp. Not for the drink, but for him to breath. It is quite heartbreaking to see a willful man having a thought of digging his own hole. It’s a little bizarre for me.

In my heart, I can only sympathize with him. Being in the same boat except for his impasse, I perfectly understand that being away from family generates random thoughts and emotions. Too bad he has to deal with such a thing, and it makes it worse that he has no one to share, and so maybe it was also good that we bumped into each other that day. He should be lucky that I had the time and sympathy to listen, though I was just so sad to hear such a story.

At the back of my mind, I can only appreciate the fact that I do not experience his misery. I can not even catch up with the flooding of the daily (yes, daily, and I am not exaggerating) text messages and e-mails from my wife and kids. In contrast, it is them who would complain that maybe I don’t read their e-mails that is why they do not get a reply to each of their messages, of which I would apologize – not because I don’t read them, but because I simply get engaged with my job, and they would understand, well, a bit. They would call me each weekend to share their Sunday funs - that they went to church and prayed for my health and safety. The kids would tell me how they are doing in school, and I would feel proud of their little achievements. And the proximity is resignedly quenched with the attachment. I am just squarely left of nothing more to nitpick about.

I know I’m not a lucky guy, but with the vast love and care that my family is showering me, I can never imagine being in his shoes, not for one second. Hearing his story, there is just nothing for me to complain.

I had to cheer him up and assure that the rain doesn’t pour in all seasons. And he would shrug his shoulders and smile in jest. I think he had long needed that kind of release, and I must have been of help to a certain extent. We had some more beers and other not-so-glowing stories until we decided it is time to go our own ways as we are separately booked for the overnight before going back to China the next morning.

That night, it was never easy for me to sleep. Some wild thoughts were running in my brain. But there was nothing solid that I can grasp. My feelings were hollow.

After that meeting, I never heard from him like forever again, not until this morning. He called to ask me if he is about to make the right decision. He said he met a married-but-separated Filipina in Hong Kong on his next exit after our drink, and they have communicated well ever since. He confessed that they would spend the night together each time he is in Hong Kong, and that she is providing him the caring and attention he had always been longing from his family. They seem to compliment each other, and now she became his inspiration.

He asked me if it is right that he just send money and would not go spend Christmas with his family back home, and instead 'celebrate' the yuletide with his “new-found friend”. I paused for a few seconds because I must respond very carefully. And so I told him; “Bro, it is not what I tell you, but what you think is right”. And he said; “Thanks bro, I needed that. I may have the same thoughts as you would say afterall, because I think it is just right and fair for me to be happy too”.

I was dumbfounded. I really didn’t know what to say any further. God knows he read my answer wrong, but I know he already made his mind even before he called me. If only I could rescind his track. But I’m settled of how he thought I reacted to his query, because if things are still the same way when he told me his tale, I can only be sure that his wife and kids would not miss him so much anyway. What only became clear to me is one of the many reasons how a family could go down the drain. That when we do not take care of our loved ones, someone else shall take care of them. So in closing, I just wished him a Merry Christmas.

The conversation we just had still runs in my head. Damn, I can’t wait to fly back home six days from now, and spend Christmas with my loving family once again.

1 comment:

Inauna Ni Inso said...

Even if it is my own write-up, the story still gives me goosebumps. I just hope that those who can relate shall be able to learn something from it.